Friday, December 22, 2017

Work life continues...

Small Business...
It's sold.  That's a lot of hours recovered per week.

Job/Employment...
I'm back in the work force negotiating a new deal.  All that remains is 'What are you going to do' and 'How much do I charge?' 

Daily Life...
Three years ago I purchased an Amazon Echo. It's been in use daily for music, news and ordering stuff. My recently purchased an Echo Dot which was going to wake me up instead of my cell phone waking me up. Remember alarm clocks?
The Echo stopped working, The 24 volt $18 power supply failed. Shortly thereafter the Echo Dot quit working and I spent about three hours attempting to reconfigure it, updating the iPhone Alexa app, resetting routers, wireless access points, etc. With each attempt the Echo Dot provided a new and elusive error message. Google, with the competing Google Home device, would appear to intentionally give not good returns to 'Echo Error Message' searches.
A final hour was spent attempting to start at ground zero and do a reset of the Echo Dot. Of course I kept reading the '1st Gen' instructions for my '2nd Gen' Echo Dot.
Winding the Big Ben alarm clock would have been a more prudent use of time. At a point in life you need to seriously consider how many three hour blocks of time you have left. Spend two minutes winding and the rest of the time with friends and family, talking, sharing, laughing and enjoying a little rock and roll.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Short answer: "no." I lost the last 6+ months as we were working out way out of our small business (cafe). That being done I'm re-focused. Right now I'm thinking about integration between Facebook, Twitter and the blog. Actually we have three themed blogs. One of my concerns is that I believe I need to switch over to Wordpress to provide a bit more in terms of layout tools. Blogger has no apparent future. As you know the challenge is producing content. Many people comment that blogging is dead; the mainstream stuff is Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. I'm going to re-start on this blog which was about finding a job but I believe now at 67 it's about a stage of life transition. We also do a food blog which is an outgrowth of the cafe and I thing we can develop a good following there; that has more of a Twin Cities focus so I'll need to integrate some advertising from that locale. My former life was in IT and I have a gig starting in that space. There I'll integrate my posts across LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Blogger/Wordpress. It's a challenge to 1) find and deploy the right integration tools 2) create content 3) make a couple of bucks. Now that you're a certified chemical guy you might want to write about that football/soccer chemical sponge you work on. I'll bet there would be a following of like grounds-tenders and advertising options w/ some chemical companies.

      Delete
    2. I have been thinking about doing a three part blog/pintrest/Instagram lazyfarmer page and sell grain and t-shirts. Combine farming and groundskeeping. Take advantage of our farm being a dump because that seems to appeal to a certain sort. I'm not really pulling it together very well. I don't know. I need to ditch blogger but I'm not good at HTML. I just don't have time...
      Perhaps a groundskeeper blog would be good.
      I just don't know...

      Delete
  2. There are a lot of people doing groundskeeeper type gigs for a variety of reasons, people who would appreciate your perspectives, frustrations, created friendships & influences, etc. You could also consider a bit more video. The one your daughter shot was actually good. The following link is of a guy building a cabin. This particular empisode is a bit of a recap but all the others in his channel do an interesting job of combining inquisity, learning, perspectives, diligence, work, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rgGEkI510Q

    ReplyDelete