Thursday, May 1, 2014

Seven Months More or Less ... April Fool's Day +30

Time Constraints...

Today I believe I have about 60 minutes that is not booked.  This was the day I going to meet w/ my LHH coach but I'm going to switch that to next week.  I've been talking to a number of professional services contacts and have some ideas for project work.  LHH has some good resources for online learning and credentialing and I want to take advantage of that over the next few months.

The small business is consuming a lot of time.  That's good and that's bad.  We now have an online presence.  The product's labelled Marianne's Kitchen are ours.  This is a simpler approach than the Amazon store route I was going to go.  We'll see how it works out.

Legacy Life Activities...

Starting FRI afternoon I'm embarking on a spring weekend known to a very small group as "Bees and Trees" weekend.  This includes planting about 250 trees and driving two hundred and fifty miles round-trip to get some new bees and then hive them.  I could drive two miles down the road from my home to pick up bees but the guy is so unpleasant I'd rather waste a day than half an hour.  Perhaps I should tell him that.  So between FRI at 1:00 PM and MON at 11:30 AM I'm booked non-stop and will, as my son tells me they do in Denmark, rely on an ongoing combination of caffeine and alcohol.

Networking...

This evening I'm getting together for dinner with a colleague from my former gig.  I'm looking forward to an evening of not talking or thinking about my former gig with a former gig guy.  While setting this up he asked how I was doing.  "I'm 63 years old with no hope of getting a job like I had, have no income at the moment and am transitioning from a position of executive control and authority to I don't know what.  Sure I'm fine.  Read my blog and you'll see my focus and accomplishments.  I cannot even tell a joke this week.

Telemarketing...

During the last 30 minutes I received three telemarketing calls.  For a bit of a retro experience I'm using my father-in-law's Princess phone which is at least forty years old.  The first call started with "Hello senior..."  I hung up.  The second call asked for my wife.  "She died yesterday" was my response.  The third was pitching the Pioneer Press.  "The Pioneer Press is such a worthless rag of a paper, both in print and online, that you could not pay me to take it."  "We have a special promotional offer that includes..."  I know that telemarketing workstations do not have phones, just headsets and scripts on a screen.  It's apparent that some of them must also block out responses from the receipient.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment