Thursday, August 20, 2015

Friend/Mentor/Peer

Earlier this week I spoke with one of the handful of people that I keep in touch with from the 27-year gig.  He's of the same vintage.  When I left we had some nice conversations about organizations.  He felt that any amount of time spent with a company in this day and age was significant and that companies and executives should freely clean house and that those cleaned should accept the good part of the run.

My position was built on a base of honesty and integrity.  I believe that there should be no difference between personal honesty and corporate honesty.   Over time I've reflected upon this and now have partitioned honesty into two types, personal and corporate.  The corporate version is similar...you don't lie but you just don't say everything.  In personal honesty you come clean, putting it all on the table.  

I choose to have a single definition, a single standard.

So this friend is in the process of leaving.  He's having trouble actually being gone.  His wife tells him what he's doing is crazy.  My wife told me that what I was doing was crazy.  I know crazy. I agreed with his wife.

There is also a pattern of asking hard questions.  Honestly you probably either have to be very wealthy or have little interest in wealth if you want to be the person asking hard questions.  This campaign has one guy for whom 'hard questions' has become a daily mantra.  

1 comment:

  1. Hard questions can also be stupid questions?

    ReplyDelete