Friday, December 6, 2013

Friday, December 6, 2013 Day #66

Resources...
Yesterday I sent an email to my career consultant asking when the twelve-month contract ended.  "I'll look it up if we get on a schedule."  OK.  There are some resources I want to use ( training, webinars, etc.) that I want to make sure I exploit, and course I'd like to best utilize the consultant, too.

Growing up in the 1950s there was a distinct legacy of the shortage of basic goods during the years of WWII.  My father, grandfathers and uncles all had coffee cans full of nails, straight and bent, screws and nuts and bolts.  That was where you went first, probably because of the war years.  If not there you groused and went to the lumberyard or hardware store which was expensive and long before the days of competitive customer service.

When I look at the pens in front of me I think of coffee cans that will probably never be empty but will also probably not have want you want or need but certainly something you can "make work."

There are far more words  (and lines for my artist and design acquaintances) in this plastic cup than I will ever need.  Just as we've replaced screwdrivers with screwguns and hammered nails with nailguns very few of us write or create from a cup full of pens and pencils.  It's slower, less convenient and has been replaced by new devices and media.  I cannot write a blog with a pen.  iPad or Galaxy fans might say yes but QWERTY rules for words.

So I need to get on track consuming resources, and I will.  I've taken a broad approach to the next steps and I am in awe of the resources available.  If I needed a job immediately one could be found.  If I define a job or role or position or activity (e.g. creative)  that I'd simply like to do, independent of compensation, there are a lot of coffee cans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment