Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Almost July...

Way in the past, about 1965, one of the tasks in school was doing a "vocational notebook."  I can remember selecting a fire protection engineer.  Things that burn and saving things that burn remains interesting.  The second was beekeeping.  At the time I'd already been a beekeeper for two years.  The teacher laughed at me for that selection, perhaps more of a ridicule.  The third selected occupation is lost in that myriad of middle school images and thoughts.

Forty-nine years later I remain a beekeeper.  It requires a certain amount of strength, an aversion to
pesticides,  immunity to all sorts of things, a tolerance for never-ending questions, planning skills and the ability to sell to people and stores even when the last thing you want to do is talk.  For almost two decades bees have been declining due the mites and recently the neonecitinoid pesticides have been a mess.  This past week bears visited one of my yards.  Having seen bears in the area I was an idiot for not putting up an electric fence but my charger battery was dead and usually the fence does not totally do the trip unless it's like Guantanemo.  So bee it.

My knowledge management project has ground to a halt due to time.  It's what interests me most so I need to re-group.

The small business venture is expanding and taking lots of time.  We've expanded the catering, the retail outlets and the wholesale outlets.

I continue to find inspiration.  This sign motivated me.  I pulled over on a busy street to capture the image, struggled to get the right exposure and then looked up to find a state trooper checking me out, probably certain that I was texting while driving.  I wasn't texting, just stopped in a four-lane busy road capturing a dumb image.

This was posted on Facebook where I attempt some level of humor and cynicism.  My comment was
essentially some drivel about IOS and Android tablets which was a never-ending debate in my 27-year gig.  I argued for prudence and economy in that venue.  All of the user base, whose 50" flat screens had made their home lives better felt that corporate profits and corporate efficiency would skyrocket with the distribution of new iPads.  My approach of prototyping, facts and ROI and cautiously progressive innovation was not popular.  Everyone received new iPads.  It's a year later and all those are due to be upgraded.  I digress.  I have one of the first iPads.  I rarely use it.  I have an iPhone 5, my second iPhone, and it's fine.  There were two Android phones before that and they were fine, too.  My next phone will be a 'droid and when I upgrade phones, they, too, will be 'droids.  The sign was an offer of a career planning tablet as a Papa John's employee.

1 comment:

  1. someone else i know had bears come into their yard - maybe the bears are on the move. good thing The Dog Horde includes 2 bear killers... and we have a ton of hotwire to keep the pigz in the coyotes out. we had a small swarm of beez come into the garage yesterday and set up shop in a hive that was stacked (int the wrong order). we couldnt get them moved outside to a "real"hive before they all lit out of town. we are trying to find them. all our beez died in our hard winter - free beez would be great.
    PLT: stop thinking about your old life. look forward.
    your pal who is not an internet stalker,
    OFG

    ReplyDelete