Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A timeout from looking for work to do some real work.

One of my favorite blogs is written by a guy who farms with legacy equipment and daily ponders the logic and economic return of his work.  I've found it inspiring.  It's as much about diagnosis and repair as it is about farming.  At some level I feel bad that his equipment fails but I've found inspiration in his repairs, and of course I know that following each repair something is happening the field and he's productive.

My career was primarily as an IT executive.  Certainly there was a history of being able to code, build networks, lace together telecommunication solutions, conceive and write strategic plans, lobby for budgetary support, etc., but as I frequently say "I was an executive.  I had 'people' who did real work."

The past couple of months were spent on a house project.  The purpose and economics of that were detailed and complex but the bottom line was that it was a good personal journey, one that connected me with a real lasting product.  My art is creative and good, too, but probably lacks the conventional appreciation that this house project will receive.


During the IT career I implemented solutions that will last for a while, like an on-time, on-budget ERP system.  It's likely that no one knows or remembers my role in that.  The house project is interesting in that it's going away.  I can walk through a couple of more times but the work is really for the new owners, as of yet unknown.  It's something that I can feel good about, just as I feel good about the ERP project.  This one is probably good for at least a decade before someone decides to toss it out.

I'd really like to be able to tear apart a tractor engine and put it back together.  That might happen.  My 1952 (1951?) Ford 8N awaits my attention.

2 comments:

  1. House project looks good. Hope you are making more money than I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a learning experience. For one reason or another I ended up in a short term equity position on this house. The remodeling should up the re-sale. We'll see.

      Delete