Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Who Asked For That?

It's possible that I've written about this before but it's time for a refresher.

Set Godin reminded me of this with his post on "press the busser"

It has to do with timing and intuition.  You can replace your car battery when you think it's about to die or you can replace it when it's -20 F.  Maintenance schedules are good but they don't preclude doing the right thing when it comes to you.

My best work during the 27-year gig were the projects that just seemed like the right thing to do.  Upon completion each one received the standard owner/executive/budgetary criticism/interrogation of "who asked for this?"  I've come to the conclusion that that is question that I choose to never respectfully answer again.  The user community loved the work, the products that they never asked for bu which made their work easier.

I'm looking for another buzzer to hit, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment