Monday, February 1, 2016

"Catching Up" is this of value

Catching Up...
Today was scheduled for a short meeting with a former co-worker, a peer, someone perhaps better suited for the corporate world.  My strengths included knowing the nooks, crannies and peculiarities of a complex organization and jamming technology into the appropriate crevices.  Japan has mass transit workers who push people into overcrowded 'no more room' trains.  Often that image came to mind as I listened to excuses.

Working together was a good time.  We enjoyed each others strengths.  We both appreciated a good laugh.  We each appreciated a good taco.  The first day he appeared in 2001 I thought that working together would be a good thing.  It was.  We parted ways seven or eight years later.  "Catching up" was to be the topic.  This afternoon we had to re-schedule.  During our conversation I mentioned a single comment about our working time together.  Catching up seems to feel like looking back.  That's something I don't care to do.

The old adage is that those unfamiliar with their history (or the history of anything) run the risk and have the tendency to repeat it.  Most assuredly I am not going to re-live my past.  A re-scheduled time was set.  My closing comment was that our meeting would included only discussion of each of our lives and careers moving ahead.  In corporate "favorite word-speak" that resonated.''

Catching up is probably a bad thing.

Remodling...
The second remodeling project is one of a few things that precluded commentary.  The past week I've been making room to work.  There's not much left in the condo and the strategic decision has been made to recycle the extra twenty large boxes instead of moving them from place to place as reconstruction begins.  Good boxes were such a rarity in the far past that I still want to pile them up, dig out my Boy Scout knife (with spoon and fork) and build a fort, a pre-puberty man cave.

This is a pretty simple project.  Six rooms and enough space to keep four empty at any give time.  First things first so I'm going after the kitchen.  (In the technology world I've always wanted more 'clipboard' functionality, more spaces to put things, sometime permanently,  opportunity to save and reference clipboard history.  For the most part I use my Chromebook, web applications like Google apps.  There are security issues with web pages and clipboards).  Of course four are not empty right now...but two will be tomorrow.  Onward.

Small Business...
The small business is very busy.  Our customer base continues to grow.  It's a lot of work.  During my corporate tenure there were many rules and guidelines.  There are three of us.  Most of the time we get along and get the job done.  Everything we do is unwritten.  We don't want more than one location and we probably don't want any employees.  Those would require rules and guidelines.  Policies destroy innovaiton.

Optimism...
You find yourself at times where you don't want to be.  The location, the surroundings don't predict good outcomes.  You have to work with it.  "Why do you think you have a sinus infection?"  "I don't think I do.  I said I did so I could get an appointment" (for the other thing).  It worked out.  You just have to plug away.

4 comments:

  1. I have been making friends at work. Everyone is nice to me. I've caught one person talking about me behind my back but it was more of a manipulation to make that person look good to the boss. I've heard there is a lot of critique on my performance but I am quite inexperienced in my new profession. I don't know if I would carry those friendships past work. I suspect not. I generally find people's life stories quite interesting and like to talk. Especially when I can leave when I want to leave.
    I tend to tell kind of personal stories when I can get a laugh.
    You might read my blog today and tell me if I went too far. Today was an interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post today was quite a bit of fun. Having been through many of those sessions I can appreciate your positive spin. While there is certainly a bit of cynicism evident I think it's fine. Of course I don't know who reads your blog. It was well-written. You might consider transitioning from groundskeeper to a speaker. At the front of the room you don't have to listen and you can say whatever you want. You absorbed far more than I did. It was also my tendency to doodle over all the handouts.

      Delete
    2. one of my coworkers is very frustrated. They asked me today how I cope with my job when it I appear to be a fit out of my element.
      I said that I was not learning as fast as I had hoped but that I had determined to do what I was told without getting angry, to accept criticism, and to be positive.
      I noted that being positive was hard as I'm quite cynical and have issues with authority.
      I didn't really know what to say other than I had determined that I was going to stay at this job, I was determined to become at least ok at my job, and that I was going to enjoy moments of happiness when they happened. And that I continually worked on strategies to make my job enjoyable.
      This person told me I had actually helped them cope with what was a frustrating job and thanked me.
      I have no idea if what I said was anyway useful or even good psychology. You can't do a self help lecture titled "one foot in front of the other... Life is a bitter struggle, enjoy the fleeting moments of happiness when and how you find them..."
      Today I showed a fellow coworker how to balance a baseball two feet in the air with a leaf blower.
      Then we had coffee. No one saw us...

      Delete
  2. At two points in my professional career I made a point to change, be less cynical, more positive and more cooperative. That was effective. Some strange things have been done w/ my leaf blower; I'll look for a baseball.

    ReplyDelete