Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Tool failure...insignificant legacy

Job transitions often happen quickly.  In my case the "leave" part happened quickly.  The "new start" part doesn't really lack traction but I do feel like a mud bogger on a quarter mile oval track.  The finish line is obscured but it's all about the journey.

This blog was intended to document the change of careers, stature, passion and hopefully a change in income.  That's probably too many goals.  The income part has fallen by the wayside.  Often in the other jobs I spent hours, really days writing plans and presentations.  Eventually I found those written in a few hours or minutes were better.  Where I once began presentations with twenty or thirty slides (I was passionate about technology) I progressed, eventually using a single slide.  It's time to focus on writing or talking.

Coming across "You Are A Writer" by Jeff Goins has been good.  Focus.  Eliminate distractions.  He talks about social media distractions, the tendency and the urge to be on many platforms.  My email is worthless but I check it often.  Twitter is great but filled with nominal contributions.  Facebook has a lot of cats, guilty dogs and Bernie Sanders speeches.  I've checked all of that as I sit here.  The TV is on (not my choice) and I'm listening to Led Zeppelin on YouTube to drown out the TV. Simplify.

I'm looking for this...
unusual equipment
Possible interpretations have been suggested.  I'm going to go with the notion that I have the tools I need to be successful.  If they are not used life will continue but less successfully than it might. 

It's clear, as it has been, that focusing is important.






Tools...

vicegrip
Each of my children left home with a complement of tools.  It seemed appropriate.  My son's tool box accompanied him to Chicago but not to Denmark.  This past summer it left with him for a new gig in London.

Unfortunately it was stored at one of the remodeling projects.  Before I brought all my tools I used his hammer.  When he arrived in London he needed his hammer, dug through the tool boxes and found no hammer.  Now he has a London-purchased hammer.  Recently I have written about Vice Grip tools.  I'll repeat that 75% of all Vice Grip tools are in static applications.  Today, working on the same remodeling project I reached in "my" tool box for a Vice Grip.  Finding that I've pilfered a second tool from an offspring who is now a seven hour flight and numerous time zones distant is not a good feeling, certainly a tool and legacy failure.

Remodeling...
If you cannot get a new job or traction in a new career you can always do some remodeling.  This project has taken a long time to get started.



It's about finding your art, landing your craft.  This time it was a borrowed (not stolen) hammer and Vice Grip.  More legacy-like opportunities will present themselves.  I just need to act like what I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment