Thursday, April 14, 2016

Your Browsing History May Define You or Your New Job

big data analytics
Ten years ago my 'to read' pile was excessive.  Subscriptions to multiple information technology rags filled my office.  Every few months I'd commit a day to scan most of it, pulling out topics of interest.  This actually was prior to 9/11.  Our corporate office moved shortly after 9/11 and that's when I stopped most paper subscriptions and gravitated to electronic versions.  This also identified a moment where I realized too much info was presenting itself and I consciously eliminated most television except occasional PBS and most magazines.  This allowed a strong focus on technology and during the period of 2001-2008 we made some great business process changes that captured evolving technology.  

I do remember having a copy of Adobe Acrobat 1.0, converting a mass amount of corporate process documentation to the Acrobat PDF format and then failing miserably at internal selling and deployment.  The internal customers weren't asking for it and were a decade from the consumerization of IT.  

Accomplishment comes with sacrifice, commitment and investment of resources. 

Since departing I've continued to follow technology, chased a few gigs and worked a couple.  A recent conversation with a like-aged executive focused on the opportunities for technology-based process improvement over the next few years.  While the past decade has embraced continuous process improvement, lean process improvement, etc., focused on continuous incremental change the real deal changers now appear to be Uber-like and industry-based 'internet of things,' pervasive connectivity, predictive analytics and big data.  Of course in a broad sense we need more serious invention (e.g. Tesla), not just 3D printers.

Reviewing my browsing history...

Amazon does a good job of reminding me of what I'd like to buy or what's caught my interest.  Frequently distracted by some marginally meaningful Facebook post my Amazon inclinations will show up thanks to Mr. Bezos and Mr. Zuckerman.  Thirty-five or so years in the IT world and it's rare that those two guys present me with IT interests.  Don't they know my history?  I suspect that down the road they will know all...as does Google, now.  

Reviewing my browser history would indicate that IT reading is no longer my primary interest.  Big data and analytics pushed back in my own face. Is this a distraction of indication of core or new interests?

What my browsing history has shown me about my own interests:
  • blogs from north of the Arctic Circle and Antarctic (the first pretty primitive living, the second high-tech research in a harsh climate)
  • batteries, cables, chargers, connectivity (this is a bit embarrassing since I claim not to be a nerd)
  • interest in fundamental fine arts...printmaking, painting
  • strong interest in folk arts
  • continuing interest in innovation, creativity
  • java development environments
    • I would like to spend time on R, PHP, Ruby, etc.
  • wwii history, North Africa and Pacific Theater
  • writing motivation, becoming a better writer
  • creativity, innovation
What am I going forward...

  • do what you enjoy
  • follow the data


While at coffee, waiting for a ride, supporting the "repair my car" industry...



The wall had about twenty images on display.  This one stood out.  I appreciated the  movement.  The exhibition was of students' work.  This kid was six.  At six he might not see this as a future.  Hopefully he'll spend his life bringing joy to himself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment