Thursday, September 25, 2014

Five Days Short of a Year

Five days short of a year out of the 27-year gig it seems as though I should have more progress in determining the next 27 years.  At 64 I probably don't have 27 more years but I should perhaps focus on the next five.  Without a doubt I am glad to be gone from that previous theater.  The dialogue, the actors and staging, and even the intermissions had become a blur with little in focus or audible.

The small business continues to grow.  Over the next three months I'll be working on branding and marketing, hopefully with the outcome of more revenue or larger sale potential.

Beekeeping remains an option.   The current demand for locally produced honey, especially in 'raw' form outpaces my level of production, and there are more retail outlets interested.  There is an offer on the table (virtual table) to partner up with another beekeeper even older than me with some broad established retail outlets.  I need to work on a proforma for that effort.

My partner in the content management opportunity took a job and despite assurances that we'd continue to work together he's dropped off the planet.  While I thought I'd continue on the conceptualization of that project it appears the co-working was what kept me moving forward.  The new motivation is that the former employer is now attempting that project.  I was never able to get any traction for that project there.  My network of former peers has also collapsed.  Apparently my ability to hold people's interest was tied to my corporate credit card and the opportunity for a free lunch.  This project still intrigues me.  While yacking with a customer at the small business yesterday they asked me "how does one manage knowledge?"  This is a CEO of a distribution business who was having lunch with his daughter/heir-apparent.  Little did they know that I could talk about knowledge management for quite a while without notes.

Some progress has been made on the creative side with a number of works in progress and some established work patterns.conceptualized.   Early in my departure there was thought of working at a co-location site.  Until specific projects are lined up I'm going to continue squatting a bit for each day.  On the more tactical creative projects I simply need time in the shop.
  The notion of working virtually is pretty solidly established.  There are at least half a dozen locations within a couple of miles that I can comfortably plunk myself at the keyboard and steal wireless connectivity.   The closest is www.brueggers.com which has much background noise and marginal connectivity, expensive beverages and good bagels.  I guess that is a compliment.  It's intriguing how many internet whores take up four-person tables to stare at their screen.  With purpose I take the smallest possible configuration, plug in and jam my ear buds in.  This works.  I can focus for an hour.  Of course I was just distracted and looked at Facebook.  I use FB to post some 250 word versions of ideas I think will make longer blog postings.  Repeating an oft-not-repeated action I responded to someone's comment of a Facebook post.  Their comments and suggestions are helpful, sometimes motivational, but I don't want to get into a debate on FB any more than I want to in email.  The debate started over Presidents, those that salute Marines while holding a cup of coffee or a dog.

"The Commander-In-Chief of this great nation deserves respect from all citizens, regardless of party. Division and bi-partisan extremism without compromise threatens our nation state. On a practical note, both President Obama and President Bush must have skipped the class on the origin and protocol for giving and returning salutes. Both the latte salute and the dog salute leave me somewhat disappointed. Five minutes later: I've refreshed my knowledge on this topic. Presidents do not salute because they are not members of the military and have not earned that right. Likewise, Officers in civilian clothes do not give or receive salutes. President Reagan started saluting because he simply wanted to. President Clinton also saluted. It does not appear that President Reagan or President Clinton attempted or mastered either the latte salute or the dog salute. Personally I think a proper return salute by the President would not only acknowledge the respect due the Commander-In-Chief but would also demonstrate his appreciation and respect of the responsibility granted his/her command and the dedication and sacrifice of those in uniform, current and past."

The comments digressed into some anti-Obama and anti-Bush trivia.  We worry about a match while the town burns.  The media keeps us focused on news stories rather than the real issues and the processes to resolve the issues, making us all think it's the President's fault.  It's really all about big money, big money buying government.

A more focused year-end wrap-up is forthcoming.  Going forward I do need to produce some income but my energy is focused on activities with a creative palette.


No comments:

Post a Comment