Sunday, September 14, 2014

iPad Roadkill

Earlier Today on Facebook...

"In less direct prose I've attempted to stress this point often in reference to my long-ago typing instructor, Ruth Woods (1964). The keyboard (typing) has allowed me to continue to be creative and productive as a writer and coder and certainly in learning. During my 27-year gig as CIO of a national company I watched keyboard skills stall, not simply the speed but the content and collaborative opportunities which require putting thought and record down on paper (or electronic). The allure of "there's an app for that," shallow as most of there are, and the "cool" factors of tablets was very costly in many forms." 

The preceding included a link to Seth Godin's blog post regarding the abandonment of keyboards.  Good business and personal strategy leverages the technology without being seduced, not that seduction is bad.  We all use screw guns and nail guns but the hammer remains indispensable. 

My son offered the comment that voice recognition will probably supplement tablets.  First looking at voice recognition fifteen years ago I have similar optimism.  We speak much differently that we write.  Perhaps Apple will allow us to pick our writing styles and apply them to our speech.  I'd like to speak like I already do and write uniquely, perhaps like Hemingway or Joyce.

iPad Roadkill...Later Today

Headed north on 35W just outside of Forest Lake I saw some rectangular road debris, then the Apple logo followed by a thump, thump.  Having absorbed too much road debris into my tires in the last month my first inclination was to look to the dash for a low tire indicator followed by the recollection that this vehicle lacked that indicator.  

The iPad road debris felt like hitting a squirrel.  For a moment I always hope that there are not dependent baby squirrels, following by the reality that they are tree rats with bushy tails and there there seems to be no shortage.  Perhaps I just destroyed the creative tool of someone.  What would they do now?  Maybe the swipe they do today will save the planet.  People using Apple solutions seem quite accepting of using overpriced Chinese hardware to do whatever they do.  No one uses an iPad 1 anymore (except me once or twice a month),  Apple people seem to update with every release, so they've probably already stopped to get a replacement.  

A ten-year old friend of mine received a tablet for Christmas.  When asked what he used it for, he recited the names of several games.  When asked about browsers and search tools I received a blank look.  The Chinese own our debt (and us) and this might be part of their plan to dominate the world.  Americans will only be able to swipe and absorb, lacking the critical tool...the keyboard.

How would I have felt if I'd run over a nice, economical Samsung Chromebook instead of an iPad?

Artwork, Electronic or Not..

Glancing out the window on this somewhat cool day I was struck with the cloud image.  My first thoughtafter capturing the digital image should have been an acrylic or water color interpretation, those supplies awaiting me at my destination.  Regretfully my first thought was the "smudge" option in Photoshop or Gimp.  

My head has become polluted, paper, paint and brush replaced with computer, monitors, mouse devices, 'creativity' software,' publishing tools, etc.  At least there was still a keyboard in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment