Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Moving stuff

George Carlin did a routine about moving stuff in our lives, how important it is, how we spend a great deal of time taking it from place to place.  My spin on that is that we typically pack a bag with old underwear when we fly to Europe.  My life, too, is overly encumbered with stuff, much of it misplaced, broken, unused, dated and of no real value.  I think "the cloud" will solve much of that.  Actually I've already misplaced, lost and stored a lot of worthless stuff in the cloud.  The real advantage to that is when I die my family won't know the passwords of the URL's so that will be quick with no repetitive trips to Goodwill or the Salvation Army with all "my stuff."

Yesterday we checked on the status of our goods (from the small business) at a new account in Minneapolis.  Last week we stood on our heads (I cannot, my father could) to deliver a large order.  In the process I became an overnight expert on UPC-A and EAN-12 barcodes.  During a quick walk through the store we found one category of our goods but not the other.  While creating and printing the barcodes I did wig out a bit over some alignment issues and I thought that might be the issue (an perhaps a problem for the customer).

Placing a quick email to one of the contacts asking how it was going and where the product might be in the store he responded that they might not be out yet and that he was just a glorified stock boy.

That reminded me of the George Carlin routine and I responded back to the young man with "We're all stock boys in the life,, moving one kind of thing or another from one place to another, waiting for someone to tell us to move it again.  At a point in life you will tell people to move stuff, and then to move it again, and it will all be fine.  It all works out."

No comments:

Post a Comment