Sunday, November 30, 2014

No Satisfaction

Several weeks ago at the recommendation of a friend from Iowa I started watching "Mad Men."  There's really no reason to include the Iowa reference with exception that I grew up on the southern Minnesota prairie just eleven miles from Iowa.  I value the opinions and the practical advice from people of the prairie. 

Mad Men is very well written and well cast although a bit repetitive.  The main character, Don, has made a truly major error in his life which carries throughout every job and relationship in his life.  It's possible that we all need to review our life's mistakes along with our successes.  The show starts in the 1950's.  Now in season four it's sometime in the 1960's.  Viet Nam is weaving it's way into the story.

Much has changed in the workplace.  Women have made some inroads but certainly not to a point of equality.  There are some organizational exceptions.  During the first five or six years of the 27-year gig people did smoke in the office and opening some alcohol around 4:00 PM was not uncommon.  

This past few days I've been working on getting my arms around blog monetization and have made significant progress.  The opportunity to make some money does exist.  All of my blogs so far have been hosted and created in Blogger.  During the last year of the 27-year gig I did dip my feet into WordPress and that's where this effort needs to go.  Between Friday, Saturday and today I spent about eight hours figuring out how to correctly insert javascript widgets featuring Amazon tools.  There appears to be an underlying effort on the part of Google to not make that simple.  Of course not I've figured it out and it's simple. The real challenge is creating interesting content.  I've been looking at many food blogs which have large followings   We have casually done some blogging in the small business, which is a food retail and wholesale operation, but it needs to be done more seriously.  This goes back to my often referenced fallback book on writing,  Writing Down The Bones.

 Overall the goal here is satisfaction.  This is a later video but I believe the first release was around 1965.  Hopefully not all of my reference points are mid-1960's in this search for employment, jobs and a little cash in my pocket.  So far it's been interesting but without broad appeal and satisfaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment