Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Event #2

I'm waiting for my son at the Hubert H. Humphrey terminal.  He is leaving for a convention in Washington DC and then returning to Denmark via Iceland.  In 1969 I was returning from Ft. Lewis, Washington (as a soldier) with a planeload of young men who had just had their orders changed to Viet Nam.  Halfway back to MSP then-senator Humphrey stood up in first class, walked through the plane and shook the hand of each of those soldiers.  It's one of those Viet Nam things I think of, wondering how many on that plane came home in a body bag not long after shaking Senator Humphrey's hand.  Hubert Humphrey had a great memory for names, remembering just about everyone.  It's possible, watching the evening news in that time that he turned to Muriel, stating solemnly, "I know that young man."

During my son's time at Northwestern each trip was a parking challenge or at least a bit parking stressful.  Coincidentally Northwestern's color was purple and today I ended up on the purple level.  My son is a political science professor.  He was fortunate to meet Senator George McGovern, presidential candidate and Viet Nam objector, also a Northwestern political science graduate.

This is one of those days that is clearly being woven together by a remote operator.

I also forgot to mention that in Event #1 of the day, my doctor asked me, shortly before advising me to walk to the light, what I really want to do, what I really enjoy.  It seems that I must be living with a sign on my back these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment