Wednesday, August 6, 2014

One Thing Leads to Another - 6 AUG 14

Dates

Language is quite interesting.  This past week there was an interesting conversation between my son and me regarding the absence of "script" writing instruction in schools and the implications for cognitive thinking.  My better half claims that texting is also the demise of conversation whether that be social or business.  It's clear that most young people working at fast food restaurants can only use a touch screen and are lost with complex transactions...or complex people.  I like to test them.

The article addressed cognition and socialization.  Admittedly there are times that I do not like being around a lot of people and perhaps am a bit selective about with whom I wish to socialize.  Most of that can be attributed to the Norwegian half of my gene pool and the entire gene composition predates clicking and drop and drag by many years.  

My point initially in the heading was to address the challenge and flexibility of our writing.  Were I speaking I'd say "it's August 6th" and that would be more or less understood and probably obvious that I was speaking of the current year, not last year or some other year to come.

My military experience comes back in strange ways.  Often it's in the presence of bad people or certain sounds or smells and always in the presence of weapons.  The title today evoked the military style in dates; "6 AUG 14."  This was always remarkably simple, clean and short, much better than August 6, 2014, 8/6/14, 8/6/2014, or some other variation.

One Thing...

Reluctantly I made another trip to the windy city last week primarily to deal with a small plumbing problem.  This brings the tally to 2800 miles and nine days committed to a small plumbing problem.  It is now resolved.  My intent was to drive my own car but I kept thinking about breakdowns, tire issues, road hazards, 70 MPH meetings with deer, etc., and chose to drive a rental car in full anticipation of using the rehearsed "I am on I94 near Mauston and I just had .... can you bring me a replacement vehicle."  The trip included two near-encounters with road debris and three or four no-fault near meetings.

Arrival safely back home was in the cards but yesterday I headed to the small business to take care of about ten minutes of work.  As I headed over the interstate, glad that I was not on the interstate I hear a loud "thunk" followed by a second.  "This probably was just two flats starting."  Only one tire was flat.  Removing the lug nuts tested my manliness and I cursed aluminum wheels, air wrenches and rust.  Upon removal that shank of something was sticking out of the tire. Premonitions are to be respected.

... Leads to Another

During the past few weeks every time I go somewhere or work on a project something is lost, broken or in need of repair or replacement.  The weekly outlay of dollars during this non-job period has exceeding that of the employment period.  This pretty much sealed the deal.  I'm back on the job pursuit trail and took a few steps this AM.  Right now I'd work for gas money ...and tire money...and equipment repair/replacement money...and standard vices money, and so on. 

  • having lunch w/ my boss of 25 of the 27 years in two weeks
  • meeting with my friend w/ the professional services firm next week
  • looking at temp CIO positions
  • reaching out to my LHH guys who probably has given up on me

No comments:

Post a Comment