Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Event of the Eventful Day

Over the course of 63 years I've gone through a lot of dentists.  One was murdered, one became a crazy homophobic, another went to trial as a key player in a big shoplifting ring, another really had hands too large to be a dentist and another was simply personally unpleasant.  Those experiences have not carried over to physicians where I've always been more or less pleased.  My current physician is a a 49 year old woman with a great sense of humor who is helping me manage a couple of things and being supportive to the effort of becoming a bit more healthy.

My visit today was fine.  It started off well with a discussion of how the Irish change phrasing when swearing.  I recommended a Robin Williams routine on how difficult it is to understand the Irish.  Now, after the
appointment, I find that the routine I thought to be about the Irish is really about the Scottish.  It's still funny.

We went though the health issue of the day and reviewed my recent annual lab results, which like much of my accomplishments, are unremarkable.  Finally I'd exhausted more than my appointed time and I thought all was well until her departing comment "walk toward the light."

I'm obsessed with the thought and likely dialogue later today.  "What did you do today?"  "I went to the Doctor.  I had hoped she'd say 'no more monkeys jumping on the bed' but instead it was 'walk toward the light."  Does this mean my monkey days are done?

In a few minutes I'm headed off to my third haircut (fourth?) in eleven months.  Given the doctor experience my barber (a twenty something young woman) will probably tell me I have head lice or some sort of scalp issue.

As I left home this morning I grabbed a "good" laptop.  For some reason I think one might do "better work" on an expensive, feature rich PC.  Once in the car I thought about the sequence of commitments today and
ran back in the house and grabbed the $219 Samsung Chromebook as a backup.  The doctor appointment and the haircut were separated by ninety minutes and it seemed reasonable to get an iced tea and steal some wireless connectivity.   The "good" laptop needed a charge and no outlet was to be found.  Leaving my tea on the table I ran out to the car and grabbed the Chromebook.  We used to go out for coffee to talk with friends.  Now I leave with two PC's and an iPhone and obsess about connectivity and hotspots.  As I look about this coffee and bagel place I wonder how many of these individuals, all alone, all occupying a four person booth or table left their home with two PC's and a smartphone.  I know not all of them are writing thoughtful blog posts and planning changes to their life...or just killing time until their haircut appointment.  Maybe they are sitting alone because they have head lice.

No comments:

Post a Comment