Sunday, January 12, 2014

#103 1/12/14 Well it might as well be a full week of meh

7:00 AM...
The alarm went off.  Actually I've given up on alarm clocks and become totally hip, using my iPhone.  That's really not such a huge sacrifice because the iPhone does a much better job of waking me up.  It's almost a paradigm shift comparable to the ever-told paradigm shift of buggy whip manufacturers who thought they were in the horse whip business when in fact they were in the vehicle acceleration business.  The carburator manufacturers likewise missed the move to fuel injection also not realizing they were in the vehicle acceleration business.  The iPhone's alarm app, which could have been put on an alarm device the size of a gnat or included in any watch (which are also passe') just does a better job giving me all kinds of pre-sets and options.

I swiped my finger on the iPhone and turned it off.

8:30-11:00
Worked on internet stuff with poor results.  I'm trying to get a proxy server to work and have been exchanging support emails with a faceless support person all day, actually for a couple of days.  This seems important to get in place in part due the Target fraud event.  I'm careful about online transactions but should be more careful.

11:00-2:00
We went out for breakfast which was a disappointment but sat and talked for 45 minutes which was unusual and perhaps good and then headed off to Costco to get a chicken.  Costco roasts about 500 chickens a day and sells them for $4.99.  Every fifteen or thirty minutes they put out a new batch and people fight over them.  Just as we arrived someone bought fifteen chickens.  That annoyed fourteen people.  We walked around and bought a few things, including some Starbucks caffeine drink that I'm now addicted to and returned to the chicken zone.  Rather than being MN nice I just jumped in and grabbed the biggest chicken of the first three hat came out.  As I think about jobs and second careers I'm pondering the self-description of "I roast chickens in a big rotating Costco oven, checking their internal temperatures.  When hot enough I take the chicken(s) out put it in a plastic container on a shelf that says 'Warning Hot' and watch people fight over them and grab them saying "OH!!! That's really hot."  I do that all day long, over and over again.  Costco is a good place to work."  This might be an option but everyone has to wear a hairnet and people with facial hair have to wear sort of a beard cover, a beardnet perhaps?  It made me wonder about nose hair.

2:00-7:00 PM
I have a lot of domain names that are registered with three different companies, Network Solutions, Fatcow and MyDomain.  The result is a web of pointers and DNS entries for browsing and email, not all of which makes perfect sense.  Of course there is the issue of user names and passwords which complicates it all.  I used an open source application, Keepass, to store user names and passwords.  Every time you save the file it sends all that information to the Russian mafia.

Network Solutions was one of the first in the domain registar business.  Now they seem to make money by charging way too much for everything.  Fatcow was committed to wind energy and support people who spoke English.  Somewhere I started using MyDomain which is the cheapest of the three and 25% less than Fatcow.  Now the Fatcow and MyDomain software is identical.  There must have been an acquisition.

Recently I did an upgrade of the small business web site using www.wix.com  which is not bad.  They host their own websites so that added another twist to the mess.  As I worked through all this making sure that the right domain names were correctly pointed and email was getting where it was supposed to be I would pause and wonder "what exactly was the point of this or how is this supposed to work or prior to the internet this would have been time spent outside, skiing."

7:00-8:00 PM
This was primarily blog time, both writing and reading.

8:00-9:00 PM
Haul some tools over to the real estate project and pulled off some molding and pulled up some carpet and had a thirty pound wall mirror fall on me.

9:00-10:00 PM
Off to the small business to drop off and pick up which seems to be never-ending and then stopping for a bite to eat.  Over the years we seem to be eating later and later.  We should probably live in Chicago or New York where such style is not all that odd.

10:00-11:00 PM
Write this, right?
MON I'm headed back to check on the furnace after a couple of AM projects, one of which is calling two headhunters back.  I am committed to not going back to work until after the end of FEB but at the moment I'd take a gig for MON AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment