Wednesday, January 1, 2014

#92 1/1/14 So what, exactly, is our job?

Warren Buffett...
Working hard, being diligent, putting in the extra effort, being creative, working as hard for others as you do for yourself and communicating clearly, with a little humility,  some chuckles and a smile seem to be good guidelines for any work, not just being a super rich guy.  Mr. Buffet's success is remarkable, but deserved.  He lives modestly and now has given away most of his money, recognizing that the fruits of his work are not gifts for his children, who can help themselves, but gifts to the many who cannot help themselves.  It's a good model.  We need more like-minded people.  I'm planning on being a fractional Warren Buffett.

Re-Imagining Our Work...
This evening, at the end of a week-long effort to move a few thousand pounds of inventory from one place to a couple of others with way too many stairways, elevators, lifting, putting down and two-wheel cart moves we stopped at D'Amico for a couple of small salads.  It was late and we were very tired.  They closed at 8:30 and about that time a nice young guy stopped and asked if he could clear our table.  "Certainly, as long as I can ask you a few questions."  He was a tall, skinny guy who spoke with enthusiasm looking directly at us.  As a second semester college student at a local somewhat liberal university he was pursuing a degree in journalism and ws soon headed off for an internship in New York City.  I always like to ask waiters and restaurant workers if the work they are doing today is going to be their life.  "Oh, God no" was response from the journalist.

The others I've asked at the same restaurant were students at Northwestern College, Billy Graham's college of choice.  They've been nice.  We helped one with a paper due the next day and another talked about wanting work for a non-profit.  "Working for a non-profit is good.  I've found that when you work for a for-profit you are committed to the process of selling (perhaps depleting) yourself.  That might not be the case with a non-profit."

This brings me the point.  My wife was reading the Star Tribune and handed me an article about a 69-year-old guy who has just written a book about one's life re-imagined .  This looked good and with only a few click's effort Amazon has a copy on it's way.  A review will follow.

Reflection on reflection...
On New Year's Eve I posted a short family story in this blog and also on Facebook.  I was reluctant to post it on Facebook, not so much on my personal page because only friends see it, but on another page which has interesting and no so interesting comments about my home town.  Recently there was a post about a particular downtown building.  My father had a part time job cleaning the Elks Club which was on the top floor and it reminded me of a humorous story that my mother like to tell.  The short piece was also a bit personal, mentioned the long-ago death of my father and the passing of my mother a year ago on New Year's Eve.  The Norwegian side of my brain pulled back, suggesting that it was all too personal and people might say something.  My dad's side of my brain suggested just saying it with the humor, the loss, the reflection and the hope.  Someone will like it.  The Norwegian side lost out and I've had many, many positive comments, good reinforcement for my writing and on my life re-imagined.

Sleeping/Working...
Not going to a "job" has dramatically affected my daily schedule, eliminating the 6:00 AM alarm and the 10:30 PM schedule and now I seem to be following a much more natural day not only for sleeping but also for eating and drinking.  This will enhance the next major "work" endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment