Friday, January 17, 2014

#107 1/17/2014 we are who are online

Online ... who we may be
As this day winds to a close I thought about this commitment of writing every day and looking to the future as a I craft my next gig. It's been a frustrating but good couple of weeks with some real positive reinforcement.  During a conference call this week I was conversing with a couple of high-end IT project consultants and drove the conversation weaving in perspectives on the future of IT and past experiences in a $1B company.  That was stimulating.  The past couple of months have been occupied with a lot of catch-up activities and a fair amount of caffeine.  From a very practical perspective the recycling barrel and the trash can have been full every week and my electronic world is a bit more tidy.

The Target security breach, which is now much larger and extensive than expected, has given me cause to be more careful in my online activities.  My browser perspective has always been one of leaving and collecting as much good and bad information as possible.  Private browsing is fine but you also are identified by your IP address and sites can collect your visits and some computer information so I'm now using a service that routes my access through a proxy which presents an anonymous IP address.  Having had my card lifted in several online transactions and having had our small business cards lifted multiple times on point of sale equipment it just seems prudent.

Entering my name and my 27-year gig employers name provides interesting results, far more than I expected.  It turns out that I've been quoted far more that I realized, with some of those quotes, perspectives and insights ending up in books. Where are my royalties?  Tomorrow I'm going to revisit some of these sites.  In our small business I've been pushing hard on leveraging social media and there may be opportunities for some self-promotion via social media and web penetration for my work in my previous gig...I'm not looking exactly for that kind of position but it is a wonderful reference in and of itself.  I can say to a prospective gig "my accomplishments are on the web."

No comments:

Post a Comment