Sunday, January 26, 2014

Day #115 1/26/2014 number sequence meltdown

Weather is Work...
One of the blogs I follow is written by a gentleman who I believe lives in Oregon.  This week he wrote about planting oats.  I believe the seeds are drilled into the ground which is all part of this no-till approach to farming.  The seed catalogs have been arriving at our home here in MN for a couple of weeks, right after Christmas.  It does give a bit of hope for spring and warmer weather.  Drilling seeds into the ground is what you would have to do here after you scraped and shoveled your way through a few feed of snow.  It's been a very cold winter, the coldest since 1997, which means the ground is frozen at least four or five feet.  That not like just hard, it's like a rock.  Fortunately we've had early snow which insulates the ground.  Were it not for that the ground would freeze down six to eight feet and make a mess of the rural (mine) septic systems.  Tomorrow morning it's going to be -15F with wind chills of -45F.

Snow has been arriving every few days and shoveling starting to be not only tedious, but a chore since the piles on each side of the driveway are about five feet high.  My snowblower is one-half as old as me.  I should be using it more to save me but given it's age I don't use it on the small stuff.  My plan is to never buy a replacement.  Given the inevitable failure I'm planning on simply walking (or snowshoeing) away and moving where I can plant oats in January.

Number Issues...
The last few days have been consumed with a couple of accounting issues.  One of our customers thought they owned us $10.  We thought it was about $1000. That one is done.  The second involves doing some recaps of income and profit/loss for the past few years and that should be done tomorrow.

Given the temperature forecast Monday will be a good day to hunker down inside and start pursuit of the 2013 income tax challenge.

This blog is about my quest for a new source of income and "worthwhile work" enjoyment.  It's been about one hundred and some days since the end of the 27-year gig.  The plan was to write a blog entry each day about that pursuit and I began numbering the posts to coincide with the number of days unemployed.  A relative said writing every day would be impossible.  Another said "why put yourself up against that?  I'm been unemployed for years and attempting to do something like that makes no sense."  Having missed a few days (like this week) and at least two other times the numbering sequence might be messed up.  It's unclear if I inadvertently started to number posts rather than days unemployed which would be the same if I'd missed no days.  It's probably not important but it probably is important to resolve this.  If I had a job I would not even waste a moment on such a stuff thought.

The X Files...
I found the "X Files" to be a most interesting TV series and David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson were engaging and well-cast.  Under the umbrella of my Amazon Prime account and my Kindle Fire "Californication" presented itself starring David Duchovny as a once-hot novelist struggling to write and straighten out his alcoholic, promiscuous, directionless life.  It's extremely well cast, with good snippets of dialogue in most episodes and likely to be explicitly offensive to many in terms of language and nudity.  There has been something pretty funny and thought provoking in each episode...and a slight excuse for not writing and working.  

1 comment:

  1. *gives disappointed head shake* now now.. you cant believe that we would accept "binge watching Californication" as an acceptable excuse to missing some days, would you?
    LifeProTip: just do short posts with pictures of adorable cats when you are 5 hrs deep into a nonstop tv series marathon.
    Source: thats what i do.. shhhh
    ps really was wondering where you were. and if you were referring to Budd yeah he's in oregon. the corn joke is on us. we cant get enough of corn pictures. he humors us.

    ReplyDelete