Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day #180, more or less / April Fools +2

If you are going to fall on your face when abandoning your commitments it's probably a good idea to make it a major face-plant.  A person close to this experience said writing every day would be a challenge.  My every day has a lot of things that I do without failure...waking up at 3 or 4 AM and pondering what 7 AM will be like....eating...thinking this particular day will be different...spending a bit more time thinking about the things I'd like to do or need to do than I do on the things I'm actually doing...getting in a rut rather than out of one, etc., etc., etc.


Excuse #1

Dental work should not really be an excuse.  My regular dentist poked and prodded, asked if this hurt or if anything bothered me ( I mentioned the impending invasion of the Crimean peninsula by Russia) or if I felt this -100F cold thing she was pounding on my teeth.  Given my lack of response she said I had a big molar with resorption near the jaw line.  You can look it up if you want.  Not wanting to part with that tooth that had been with me for a long time I tested my dental insurance plan and got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and then I emailed xrays to two children of friends who were in dental school.  Apparently the sanctity of the jaw bone is big deal.  No one knows what resorption is caused by of if it spreads, but the tooth had to go and I guess I'll consider an out-of-pocket implant at some point.

Resorption is very common in cats.

This excuse covered at least two weeks of the past month.

Excuse #2

 Winter has as firm a grip on my life as it ever has.  The Norwegian 50% of me is resigned to life in a forever Zone 3, where nothing thaws, we eat caribou all the time and summer is a very brief period of thawing muskeg and caribou and dogsled poop.. 

It's APR 3 and we're getting 10-12" on top of a log of other snow that has not melted.  My better half just told me to go out and shovel so that I could get out tomorrow.  Why do I want to go out?

The spring of 2013 included some good snowfalls in May and I found this April Fool's day snow of 2009.  It's all expected.

The weather is not a good excuse.



Excuse #3

I've been working on writing my book(s).  This is a lie.  Other than a few Facebook and Twitter qwips I've been a creative writing slug.

Excuse #4

It's good to set goals.  I had about ten or fifteen goals.  Not reaching all of them is not a failure.  Even one of fifteen is good.  I've done that.

Excuse #5

Ten thirty-seven PM is not a good time to write.  My excuses are getting more lame and sentences shorter.  Tomorrow I will write (since I'm not shoveling any more this winter).

1 comment:

  1. it's past "tomorrow"... so. whats the word? but winter is hard.

    ReplyDelete