Monday, April 14, 2014

Day #191, more or less...April Fool's Day + 13

Major Distraction Tonight For Writing...

Despite a short break "up north" for some quiet writing/creative time I've made the mistake of accompanying those tasks at the moment with a really good AC/DC tribute bank on the Satellite TV.  Bonfire is causing me to act a bit like...I say this reluctantly...an AC/DC concert attendee.

April 15th...

Forty-seven years of filing taxes is a challenge.  Thinking back to my first return in 1966 when I worked two jobs (Dairy Queen & Berglund's Sporting Goods) it seemed complex to complete the forms, not making any mistakes and attaching the W-2s.  Thinking back, now I believe that you completed two forms, one for yourself.  Once again hard to believe but that was before convenience copiers, actually those were the days of mimeograph machines and ditto masters.

This year was the most complex of all of them in part because I also did a year's worth of business accounting, federal and state business filing and federal and state personal filing.  In my quest to be something different I think I'm going to get a temp job doing taxes next year since I probably have broader knowledge that most twenty-somethings who do that.  



The Depth of Commitment...

After several weeks of tax stuff I found that I was staying up too late, waking up early with thoughts of something I missed or had to check out (curses to TurboxTax for the 1099-B Box E form unavailability).  Mornings seemed to demand caffeine despite my attempts to cut back.

Is 5% good?  What if 5% honesty, 5% sincerity or 5% commitment were the mainstays of our individual character.  That would be pretty lame.  Wide receivers or NBA forwards operating at 5% would soon be seeking other employment or venues.  

Defining goals and making concrete plans to get there or at least make progress requires much more than a 5% effort.  Obviously I'd not planned on April Fool's Day being the mid-point of a year-long transition.  I'd not thought of it.  Had I thought of it it would have been a good benchmark.  Figure out your new life by April Fool's Day.  I'm going to give myself until the middle of May or so to have a concrete plan.  Taxes, teeth and miscellaneous have been important prerequisites.

No comments:

Post a Comment