Monday, April 7, 2014

Day 182, more or less / April Fool's Day +4

Proximity
The big deals in life usually occur pretty close to home.  Things like "I woke up thinking about this" or "I had this idea in the shower" or "It was right there in front of me."  No one ever says "I had this great idea when I was in Hawaii" or "I wrote this wonderful poem/article/short story/book outline while we were in Paris...or at at major league sporting event or an Oscar winning/nominated film."

I think bad things happen like good things.  Sometimes it's something you've worked at, like the failure or success of a child because you are a bad or good parent.  Sometimes it's fate...something fell out of the sky and you happened to be at the connecting point.  Today I drove about 500 miles and the only near death experience I had was about two miles from home.  In the far past I wrote and edited "Minnesota Crash Facts" for the State Department of Public Health.  The experience today bears out the facts I wrote about 35 years ago.

A Second Perspective on Today's Drive
The following is my Facebook post summarizing the day's drive:

Driving safely to Chicago translates into 69 in a 65 zone to Madison, 75 in a 65 zone from Madison to Milwaukee and 80 or so in the 55~65 zone from Milwaukee to Chicago. The patrol seems focused on stopping Audi's, Mercdes's and BMW's traveling at 85+.

A Third Perspective on Today's Drive

the start...

the end...

Professional Work...
While sitting still or driving at 4MPH on I94 I had a productive conference call with a collaborator regarding IT knowledge sharing.  It's good and bad that he has taken a job but we've agreed our concept merits pursuit.

Still trying to work a collaborative effort w/ a former lean process improvement vendor, as well.

General Thought...
I need to write every day.  At the moment I'm sitting where my son wrote his PhD.  Perhaps he's left some writing Karma in the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment