Monday, November 25, 2013

54 54 54 54 54 54 54

Battery Maintenance
March is only a few months away but yet I'm pulling 12v batteries out of everything.  It seems that disconnecting things that tend to drain them and hooking up trickle chargers is the way to go. Of course I've bought a lot of trickle chargers and it appears as I dig through this 27 year backlog I have more than I thought I had and certainly more than I need.  There was even a box of wire and connectors that I purchased at least four years ago that I was going to jump several batteries and connect them to a single trickle charger.  That seemed like a good idea.  Of course there are at least two or three bigger chargers, too.  It's probably a trade-off.  I have enough extra chargers to have purchased a few batteries.


Mice...Computer Pointing Devices
My best work is done at my desk which has at least three desktop computers functioning.  There's a standard Microsoft three-button mouse that's been there as long as there have been three button mice.  There's also a Microsoft mouse with a rolling part the size of a golf ball.  This seems to be a logical device for graphics work.  It's been there (connected and functioning) for five years.  I've used it three times.

The most frequently used PC is a Samsung Chromebook which is a forebearer of the future of computing and is used only with web apps, cloud solutions and was $249.  The more powerful Thinkpad accompanies me when I need some "off the grid" horsepower.  Each of these notebooks and my "up north" notebooks have pointing devices that are good for basic operations but not for graphics.

I began a search for a mouse that I could throw in my traveling briefcase.  The home office yielded a new in the box Logitech wireless mouse which I purchased to replace my wired mouse shown in the image.  Of course the wired mouse works fine so the Logitech sat on the floor gathering dust.  In a box of cables and connectors I found three two-button mice and in the trunk of my car I found three wired three-button mice.  There's no logic to why they were in the trunk but there are also four umbrellas and two boxes of latex gloves there, too.

Progress
This was a progressive day.  The agricultural census from FEB was returned so hopefully the federal government will quit calling every day.  I also increased my DSL speed seven-fold for a 20% reduction in cost and found that I can actually go to70mb for about what I was paying for 3mb.  This is a deep, deep 27 year hole.  

This evening I'm re-visiting a few job boards and working on some personal vision statements.  It's good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment