Thursday, November 14, 2013

Post #43 11/14/13 Numerologists Would Like This Title

Car Fatigue
The high point of today was the fact it was garbage day, recycling day and yard waste day.  The red squirrels have determined that there must be something of value in all of those 70 gallon containers and gnawed away at the tops.  The garbage might yield something but given that we eat at the cafe and never at home the garbage is usually old metal things, concrete debris and wood leavings.  Perhaps the squirrels do this to not just my cans but all the neighbors.

The long drive left me not really wanting to talk much today and I'm not sure that ten hours of rock music did much to enhance my auditory acuity. 

Is This a Cloud or a Hat?
During the past year everyone started talking about the cloud and cloud solutions, especially those who really never could grasp traditional or mainstream data management.  Just to blame someone I'll blame Steve Jobs and Apple because of their marketing pitch "There's An App For That!"

Is there an application for helping find my pocket knife that I lost somewhere between the UPS Freight Truck and my home office?

Is there an 'app' to gather up my neighbor's leaves that are now 6" deep on my yard?

Is there an app to undo years of bad conversation or turn tired friendships into new?

While the cloud is fraught with issues I'd like to recover even 1% of the time I've put into failed hard drives, corrupt operating systems and Microsoft application licensing challenges over the past 30 years.  I'm trying to do the math in my head and I remember distinctly a conversation with a vendor about the rationale to switch from CP/M to MSDOS so that had to be around 1982 so it's 31 years.

Today I found that one of the firms on my 'good, progressive company' list has a couple of interesting openings including a Director of Operations.  Friday I'm calling them.  It's a company based around delivering cloud solutions and since I've been a closet advocate of such for a long time AND the fact that my Samsung Chromebook and Google Applications is/are my first choice and most frequent choice AND the fact that the typical user is still a bit dismissive of both this sounds right up my alley.  It's not mainstream yet but 3-5 years from now this will be the de facto solution for most businesses and private users.

Perhaps the image is of a hat.  If that is the case I would be cautious of it, just as I am of all things "cloud."

No comments:

Post a Comment