Friday, November 15, 2013

Post #44 11/15/13 Technology Might Be Holding Us Back

Septic Tank Pumping...
Our rental house has a well and a private septic system.  Never, ever, have rental property that has a well and a private septic system.


It's been two years since I had the tank pumped and the tenants have two little children so I'm assuming there are a lot of solids sitting at the bottom of the tank.  When things are not working correctly and we get a hard, early, deep frost all of this can actually work backwards.

My MSOutlook account (former work) had a contact for that property location.  In the 'notes' field I kept track of propane orders, water testing info, septic tank pumping contact, etc.  When I left I exported all my contacts to a CSV file in anticipation of importing them into something.  A PDF of all that contact info also seemed like a good idea.  The operator (me) failed to include the 'notes' field in the export or the PDF.  The contact info for American Septic something or other was not to be found.

I recently updated to an iPhone 5.  It appeared that my MSOutlook contacts all synched from MSExchange during my employment.  Unfortunately that property contact record did not have all the information in the notes field, but it did have some of it.  My iPhone 4 did have all the info but it was dead in my briefcase.

It appears that the iPhone 4 was synched correctly with MSExchange.  At some point, probably more than three or four years ago, I must have imported the contacts from the iPhone 4 to my Gmail contacts.  The iPhone 4 info appears to be correct as of APR of 2013, reflecting the many changes in my contacts during that period.  When I switched to my iPhone 5 I must have synched the Gmail contacts to the new phone.  

So...I need to synch the iPhone 4 contacts to Gmail and then synch the Gmail contacts to the iPhone 5 and then synch the iPhone 5 to iCloud.  If I try to synch to iCloud before I do all that other stuff I'll lose everything.

A simple paper address book would be nice right now.

I think I should re-consider the iPhone as the best option.  One platform for all this makes a lot of sense.  I've spent years dealing with MSOutlook and MSExchange upgrades and issues.  All of this is not as complex as it needs to be.

One of the Positions....
that I applied for used an online application process.  There was an open-ended question where they wanted me to write something that really hopped off the page and made them take notice.  They also wanted to read any blogs that I kept.  Since I'm living a bit on the edge I think I'll actually include a link to this blog.  What can I lose?  I'm already unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment