Sunday, November 3, 2013

Power Day #34 Month #2

A Short Retrospective Look

 The opportunity to lay down some De Stijl work recently was provided by some punk tagger.  After about twelve months a patron looked outside, turned, turned again for a second look and commented "that is beautiful."

Our best work is rarely appreciated at the time it is done.  That especially true when your work is a bit ahead of the curve.  Doing work in synch with the demand is key.  Know your audence.

The LHH guy made some good comments on the resume and moved the "good work" items to the top.  We left my somewhat out of the box intro comment about old experience being more "old" than anything else.  I'm playing the youthful perspective with a lot of experience card.

On a Practical Note...
This spring a basswood tree tipped over on the Groningen farm, avoiding the house.  With about 30% of the roots in the ground it leafed out and stayed green all summer.  Today I cut up most of it for bowls and a handful of large sculpture blanks.

This daylight savings is killing me.  I need sleep.

In August I combined a couple of weak hives expecting that to fail. Surprisingly it thrived.  Two weeks ago I started my fall feeding which was about three weeks too late.  In the fall it's good to do a 'reversal' of hive bodies to ensure that the bees are at the bottom of the stack and the surplus honey at the top.  During the winter they slowly work themselves upward.  Starting at the top will leave them with no honey stores above them.  They will starve.  Bees are not smart.

When I started to do the reversal about five pounds of comb with honey and brood dropped out of the bottom of the super on my feet and the bees went crazy.  Today I attempted to complete the reversal but had lost my propane torch that I use to start my smoker.  When you smoke bees they eat some honey and immediately become calm.  I did it without smoke.  Apparently somewhere along the path of this summer I put a super on one of the two hives ultimately combined but it had five frames instead of the standard ten. The bees had built natural free form comb not on frames.  They did what they are supposed to do.  That's what ended up on my feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment