Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day #13 monetary & logistical traction...

Having a job = Getting income
Fortunately I am not totally desperate.  Our children are out of the house and we've forgone any fun, vacations or conspicuous consumption (Thorsten Veblen) for years.  That has come at other costs, but I have some 'reserves.'

The best advice to anyone leaving their job and it's pay is to supplement with anything.  If you have $500 and spend $100 per week you will be out of cash in five weeks.  That part-time job at Home Depot might only net $20/week but it gives you 20% more time before you hit the bad '$0.'

Ray Kroc started to make real money when he was over sixty (check Wikipedia on that).  My comment to my LHH guy was that I'd like to make $1M over the next 5-10 years.

Now the flip side of supplemental or new income is to cut expenses.  There are obvious immediate savings from not having a job:
  • auto expenses
  • lunches
  • coffee
  • clothes
  • happy hours with co-workers

The non-work expenses can be cut quickly, too.  Obviously food is much cheaper to eat at home.  A six-pack of beer or Mountain Dew Kickstart purchased for home consumption is
dramatically cheaper than the onesy twosey purchases at the local bar or convenience store.  A big item that I'm going after is our insurance.  We have a bundled policy that includes home insurance, car insurance and a liability rider.  After even a quick review I believe I can save 20% or more with just a little effort.  Interestingly 'the bundle' that was to save me a lot of money actually costs more than the competitors in the individual market segments.

So...immediately review your insurance.

Life insurance is a good topic.  If you are in the position of leaving large debt you might want to keep it.  If you want to leave a nest egg that's fine, too.  Other than those two reasons it's probably a waste of money.  Disability coverage is often the more logical purchase than life insurance for younger working people but at 60+ you might want to trash that, too.

I've left my job.  I am not replacing a six-figure life policy and very good disability policy primarily due to cost.

Back to the income topic...
This morning I 'monetized' this blog using Adsense.  We'll see how annoying that can be.  Obviously I need to get the writing and themes cleaned up a bit.  There are a lot of blogs with ads and I can only assume that they are at least getting gas money out of the deal. Take a look at the following blog.  This guy is pretty funny, obviously spends a lot of time farming but manages to get words down on paper.  I ask myself all the time "making money talking is a good gig but getting money for writing has to be close to a perfect gig, too.   http://thedailystrumpet.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment