Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day #3 Post #1

Lots of Barriers and Moving Parts

Today was already a bit hectic with some SMB work.  For the uninitiated that's the acronym for 'Small Medium Business.'  My wife and daughter are in the 'S' category and two events in that world required my physical, not mental, participation.   In the middle of that I sat through a Lee Hecht Harrison webinar on 'marketing statements,' sort of an alternative to handing out your resume. 

There are a lot of barriers and moving parts in the image to the left.  Some of the barriers are more movable than others, some provide a cautionary warning, some provide a clear 'hard stop,' and others are just confusing.  Organizations and management teem with barriers.  Some barriers are at the bottom of the achievement and success scales.  That's probably OK.  Those at the top are the barriers that we need to move and adjust to foster creativity and innovation, the work activity that is not 'standard process' or 'repetitive activity' but the work that differentiates.  My recent employer was working slowly initiate a "...structured program in support of innovation."  The barriers in that picture required some heavy lifting to adjust.

Today I'm working on a list of interests and activities and technical skills that I'd like to improve over the next sixty days.  In terms of work goals I'm not interested in anything that I cannot get a 'creative' or 'innovative' spit wad to stick to.  


No comments:

Post a Comment