Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day #19 So many bosses, so many losses...

Boss Retrospective
We often talk about our jobs in terms of the people we work for.  Lucky people have good bosses or bosses that just leave them alone.  Most of us are not lucky.  Many of my bosses have had the first name "F'ing."  I'm not sure why so many had the same name.

From First to Most Recent

Ray at the Dairy Queen:  Inventor of the Buster Bar, really nice guy.

Pete at the sporting goods store:  Really nice guy.  Taught me a lot about retail.

Greta at the meat packing plant restaurant:  German war bride.  Likely Nazi.

Professor Don & Professor John:  Do not work for professors.

Professor Art:  Landed at Normandy at D-Day +2.  Good guy.

Doug at GCCC:  OK.

Mike at GCCC:  Kept his distance.  OK.

Tom at Public Safety:  Friendly.  Slept a lot at work.  Drank a lot of Black Russians.

Dick at BCBSM:  Usually fell asleep while talking.  Probably needed med adjustment.

Merlin at North Star:  Focused primarily on Merlin.

Tim:  We had similar backgrounds, totally different styles.  Bell curve of respect and support over time.

Last Guy:  I really could not understand the agenda.  Did not talk to me in 2013.

I'm sure there were others.  But our work experiences are shaped even more by our co-workers and people that work for us.  Those are the resources that really support company initiatives.  Bosses can buy lunch but are also more likely to pull the grenade pin and not save their subordinates but go in a new direction.

Was my first name "F'ing," too?
It seems that more people enjoyed working for me.  I did run a lot of interference.  The politically astute ones know that I took a bullet for them.  I'd do it again.  They were great people, even the ones I let go.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment