Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day #13 Post #2 one can never have too much honey

Beekeeping has been a real challenge for the past 15 years and particularly challenged in the last five due to the release of a new class of pesticides which is devastating honey bee populations.  The key is to not be
near any corn or alfalfa.  This next spring I'm going to plant about five acres of clover and another five of alfalfa.  Farmer's typically cut their alfalfa before it flowers to retain protein as a forage crop.  Hopefully I can find an non-hybrid alfalfa seed source that will re-seed itself.  The demand for raw, local honey has been increasing steadily.  That's good for the beekeeper.

During the trip 'up north' I glanced out the window and spotted these tundra swans.  There were another half dozen just out of view.  Interestingly they have a 3700 mile one-way migration each spring and fall.  They live about 20 years.  I did the same eighteen mile one way commute for 27 years.  I am so very glad that migration is over and I'm creating new directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment