Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day #17 I'm going to remain easily distracted

On the Positive Side of Things:
The first draft of the resume is done.  Writing a resume at the same age that you can collect early Social Security is pretty odd.  Perhaps it would be simpler to just go get a $10/hour job at Home Depot to buy gas money.  That's not what I want.  Mixed demographics in the workplace is what I enjoy when there is the opportunity to be distracted creative.

So How Easily Distracted Am I?
Doing a good first draft is not all that difficult.  It just requires good seat time.  During my first 14 years at 'the recent gig' I had a good chair, not fancy or infinitely adjustable but solid with good lumbar support.  When we moved offices I received a new chair that was infinitely adjustable but it was never stable feeling much like sitting on a moving animal.  During the night I took my old chair home and have been writing from it for the past 13 years.  So, every day, for the most part, I have sat in the same office chair for 27 years.  The chair was so comfortable that when I brought it home I also took two other identical ones.  
Even inf my own chair fails or breaks in the next few minutes I have two backups, and assuming even somewhat lessor lifespans for them, I have a place for my butt until I'm 112.

Working on the resume involved a number of distractions.  I stood up to go floss my teeth because I hadn't flossed for at least two hours and I have a dental appointment in December.  The refrigerator called me because of an excess of craft beer that needed to be shuffled.  I shuffled and ended up with a hard cider from some nowhere place in Wisconsin.  Focus on the resume.

A few years ago I had a tear in the retina in my left eye which resulted in some issues, including more distracting debris.  Now every time I have some weird reflection or something new moving about I clench up anticipating laser repair work.  Right in the middle of the 'Value Propositions' and 'Competencies' section of the 'difficult to complete' Resume #1 I believe something is moving in my eye, something new, something that might be serious.  It was a spider, not in my eye but descending from the ceiling.  It's located in the image just to the left of "Ready When You Are.'

Obviously I was also distracted by the new L.L. Bean catalog, an Eddie Bauer catalog, a knife catalog which will be my last if I do not order, an issue of Forbe's Life and a Minnesota Department of Revenue Sales and Use Tax Bulletin, a bag of cashews and notice next to my keyboard from my opthamologist to schedule an appointment in November.  Focus.  I checked three email accounts, my Facebook account a couple of times for a pointless debate with a pointless Tea Party advocate and three or four Wikipedia topics.  Focus.

My chairs, actually chair #1 will probably outlast my eyes and my 'mental.' 

This was a successful day.  Tomorrow AM I will send off Resume Draft #1 to my LHH guy who will be nice but rip it apart.

I've really been enjoying not having the alarm clock beat me up at 6:00 AM.

Did I mention that Spotify can be distracting, too?

Goodnight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment