Friday, October 18, 2013

Day #18 you cannot win if you don't play

The Odds Are Not in My/Your Favor
When I first visited with the staff at www.lhh.com the consultant ridiculed me when I mentioned I was concerned about my age.  During departure conversations with my previous manager I offered the comment that at my age this ended my career as a CIO.  All the numbers indicate that over 60 it takes about a year to find a comparable job.  Unless the entire world is lying I think LHH is FOS on the issue that age does not make a difference.

When on the hiring (versus begging) side of the interviewing table you go
through the calculations in your head while sort of listening to the candidate and you come to some conclusion about age, enthusiasm, learning ability, etc.  This normally does lean to the 'more senior side' unless you're hiring senior gigolos for the cruise ship scene.

You Need to Buy a Ticket
Taking the 'not likely' position is realistic.  In negotiations we try to find a way to turn a negative point in to one of advantage.  Often the best way to defend yourself against an overpowering aggressor it to run directly into the fire.

I'm not sure that all the LHH stuff about pitching maturity and experience is necessarily the direction I need to follow.  It seems more logical to pitch is to go after the interim placement or put a hard deadline on it with the promise to leave them (the employer) with an even better candidate.

The very best way to find a successor is to have the very best incumbent fine them.

The resume will be explicit about age situation and time frame for employment. 

Lottery Ticket Report
I have about twelve tickets...I will check them now.   There were ten Powerball tickets and three Mega Millions tickets.  After $23 was expended in this investment in the future.  There was one matching Powerball number paying $4.  Nineteen dollars expended is probably OK for possibly winning the future rather than crafting the future

Generally Speaking
  • Progress was made on the resume.  I'm meeting w/ LHH next Wednesday but will send a draft off SAT (Day #19) AM.
  • Created a custom URL w/i LinkedIn...first 'John Leeper' with that idea.
  • The city people walked through the back yard and marked six trees that I had already marked as having Oak wilt.  In total we've lost about fifteen large oaks from the back yard; that's pretty much all of them.
  • Progress was made on a new graphic challenge for the MK enterprise.
  • I was not as distracted as I was yesterday.
  • The reality of a non-ringing cell phone and no text messages and no email alerts about some company crisis is sinking in.  Perhaps I should create a 'fantasy work' world along the lines of fantasy football.
  • I did have one great idea on a cookbook layout.




   


No comments:

Post a Comment