Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Too Much Time to Waste <><><> #22

"You have too much time to waste."
My daughter pushes her phone in my face (with Facebook open).  "You have too much time to waste."  We're friends on Facebook.  She generally likes my posts, not because she's my daughter but I think she enjoys them, especially the more offbeat stuff.

For some reason my profile picture must have put her over the edge.  A while ago it seemed logical to learn Inkscape, an open source, free graphics tool.  My goal was to work on it every day and to get good, challenging myself to change the image every day.  I'm way behind.

Not Nearly Enough Time to Waste
When you are a teenager you have nothing but time to waste.  Never have I wanted to go back in time.  My daughter is wrong on her comment.  The reality is that I don't have nearly enough time to waste.  I need to make the best of it.  Other than the basic financial obligations I want to waste as much time as I possibly can, doing what I want to do.  I've wasted enough time doing other peoples work, making money for other people, etc.  My daughter does a good job of encouraging me by liking and laughing at my work.

"You won't keep up on your blog.  It takes a lot of work."
My son knows how to push my buttons.  That's his mother in him.  He also knows that I really enjoy making stuff, making ideas, creating things, making up stories, telling stories, living a bit of a 'what if?' scenario.  He does a nice job of encouraging me to do what I enjoy, knowing that I've worked on the other side of the street for a long time.  

The regular encouragement to write a book has been appreciated.  It's just been hard to work at the craft.  About twenty years ago I sat in a parking lot reading my first purchase of Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within."   For a half-Norwegian it was very emotional.  I keep going back to that book.  I've purchased at least three copies.  I don't lose many things, especially books, but these seem to slip through my fingers.  It's possible that I leave copies where I think I'll need them but I don't make it back to that special spot.  Not having any idea where any of them are I just ordered another copy, the 2010 version for $8.31 on www.half.com.

"Go do some art things in the barn."
Two days from now I will have been married for thirty-two years, to the same person.  There are a lot of topics to cover in that many years.  Right now I'm getting good advice on crafting the 'go-forward' time.  I appreciate that encouragement.   After this many years, even if it's a bad day or a bad month you know that you can count on someone to get you to the emergency room.  This is not a life or death crisis but it is a life opportunity.  Helping me see that in the right light (as a artist, preferably mid-day light from the south) is very helpful.

Twenty-Two Days and Counting
The bad taste is not totally out of my mouth but I'm getting 27 years wrapped up in a few bullet-point talking points...short points.  There's some freedom in that.

The first consultant at RHH was all about, well, the first consultant at RHH first and secondly about getting back into the network and connected with another executive job.  He left the executive world a bit early.  Even with a big executive ego there was probably a compelling story to define everything not just in corporate terms.  I'm not sure how getting another corporate job would help me, in any way, waste as much time as I want to waste doing what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment