Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day #3 Post #2

Often I'm distracted.  Just now as I started to write the second post of the day about 'seeing' change and 'missing' change I thought "why are you naming your posts as you are?"  Perhaps a better scheme would be as software is frequently numbered.  Today's earlier post would simply be "3.1" and the current one would be "3.2."   Certainly this would allow for many, many posts per day, even though I'm committed to just one.  I'll think about this.

'Seeing' Change

Often when we speak of 'early adopters' we immediately take the 'leading edge' phrasing and call it 'bleeding edge.'  You might be first, the cheapest, the coolest, whatever, but it's going to hurt (financially, morale, professionally, etc.).  There has never really been a situation where I felt being leading edge was too 'bleedy.'  Good staff, like my most recent, see events and trends and often they are personally (not work wise) part of those early themes.  In the tech world there is often the thought that are the workers are totally nerdy.  My experience has been that they are much more intuitive than deductive, both in break/fix and innovation worlds.

You hear something, have a passing thought, hear two conversations that you meld together or see something out of the corner of your eye.  The creative person does something with that.  You capture it, pull some resources together, get two people or a team talking and sharing or you 'run it up the management ladder.'

PM Today

Verizon was finally reachable today after a couple of calls (thank B.E.) and my work phone is now part of some new convoluted plan that includes my wife and son's phone.  Thomas's phone does not work in Denmark but that will be the next task in 'cell phone world.'

The plan for this afternoon included building another Fedora PC.  This is a nice Linux distribution that runs well on most junky PCs and makes a nice browsing appliance.

I'm a Gimp user but want to add some Inkscape expertise to round out the graphic design area.  Finally in the nerd world I was going to get back to Ruby on Rails.

Next week will include another visit to Lee Hecht Harrison.  This actually has been a good experience and puts a framework of 'work' around the openness of unemployment.

Back to the Photo

Back in the day I was pretty good with my Minolta SLRs, but for many reasons, none of them good, lost momentum.  With the move to digital imagery I even convinced myself that now everyone would take zillions of photos and simply by number (no longer the 36 image Tri-X limitation) everyone would take wonderful, meaningful, thoughtful and inquiry provoking images; fear of success is bad.

The scene in this photo is one I've driven by for sixteen fall seasons at least twice per day.  I never saw it.  Today I saw it out of the corner of my eye, parked the car illogically, walked a city block back into traffic and started to convince myself that it probably was not as nice as the peripheral view I imagined.  Two shots with the iPhone 5 with slight variations of composition.  There's a lot to be seen, lots of changes, depth, color, texture, hard lines, soft natural lines, etc.  This was the highpoint of the day and the best accomplishment on the 'next steps.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment